Msgr. Wach Visits Green Bay, 2007

On Sunday, June 10, 2007, Monsignor Gilles Wach, founder and Superior General of the Institute of Christ the King Sovereign Priest, offered a Solemn High Mass for the External Solemnity of the Feast of Corpus Christi at the Institute's St. Joseph's Oratory in Green Bay, Wisconsin. Several children of the Oratory also received their First Holy Communion on this occasion.

The Solemn High Mass was followed by a grand procession of the Most Blessed Sacrament, during which the Blessed Sacrament was carried in a monstrance given to the Green Bay diocese in 1686 by Nicolas Perrot (1644-1717), who was a lay servant of the Jesuits and fur trader. This monstrance was temporarily lent to the Oratory by the Historical Museum of Green Bay with special permission given by Bishop David Zubik.

The ostensorium is the oldest religious relic in Wisconsin. It is believed to have been buried for its safekeeping and later discovered. It was given to the mission of St. Francis, which was located a little above the mouth of the Fox River, and is now, DePere. The original French inscription on the underside of the base translates to be, "This ostensory was presented by Mr. Nicolas Perrot to the mission of St. Francis Xavier at Green Bay, in the year 1686."

It is a tradition to have the monstrance painted on the sidewalk outside of the Church doors for a Corpus Christi procession. The painting for this occassion was beautifully created by Abbè Keith Kerscher to resemble the ancient relic of Wisconsin used during the procession by Msgr. Wach.

Benediction of the Blessed Sacrament was offered at three outdoor altars throughout the Corpus Christi Procession, finishing with another Benediction inside of the Oratory. 

Click an image below to enlarge it. To save an image, right-click on its thumbnail, choose "Open in New Window," and then right-click and choose "Save Picture As."

Return to Gallery List | Return to Gallery Categories